Tuesday, April 24, 2012

April Book Choice

Hello Ladies,

Another month passed and we had yet another successful book club meeting.  It was actually the first meeting in my new house!  It was great actually feeling like I had room to host the dinner instead of cramming us into the living room.  Anyway, thank you to Sabra for the amazing dinner.  Personally, I think it was one of my favorite meals.  And thanks to Heather for the dessert.  One can never go wrong with Creamies!  

So as Amy Jo just posted we selected “The Night Circus” as our March book choice and it was a hit.  There was romance, deceit, magic, wonderful imagery, and a unique story.  The author did a fantastic job of helping the reader feel as though they were actually in the middle of this bizarre circus he had created.  The characters he created were just as unique and interesting as the circus itself.  And the relationship between Marco and Celia seemed doomed from the very beginning of the book but I found myself rooting for them anyway.  Those of us who finished the book rated it between 4 and 5 stars.  I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. 
Amy Jo was brought our book choices for April.  She prefaced her choices by saying there was really only one that she actually wanted to read…the rest were just fillers.  Luckily, the rest of the group agreed with her and we ended up picking her first choice.  This month we will be reading “The Unconquered” by Scott Wallace.
It is a first-hand account of a 3-month expedition into the Amazon jungle in 2002 to learn more about the remaining native and uncontacted tribes that lived there.   I love reading true, inspirational stories and I am really excited about bolstering my pathetically-limited knowledge of the Amazon.   My kindle says that I have read 5% of the book so far and I am already hooked.  It seems like Amy Jo picked another winner this time!   

Our next meeting will be on May 16th at 7:00.  A big thank you in advance to Amy Jo and Marie for taking care of dinner, to Rachel for dessert, and to Ashlee for bringing our book choices.  Can’t wait to see you all next month.

Happy Reading!

Carly

No comments:

Post a Comment