Thursday, January 24, 2013

New Year, New Book Choice

Hello Ladies,

Look at how good I am doing at blogging...are you proud?  I had such a great time at our last book club meeting.  Life is stressing me out lately and book club is always a fabulous distraction.  I love talking to all of you girls and hearing the great things that are happening for everyone.

So last month we read Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury.  Surprisingly most of us had finished the book this time.  I'm not sure if that happened because the book was relatively short or because it felt like a book that you just have to read.  Either way,  I was happy to see that we had actually read this time!  Many of us didn't actually love this book.  At points I struggled following the story.  I ended up wondering if what Montag was describing was real or his imagination.  That seems about par for the course with me though.  I've read many dystopian novels and books dealing with totalitarian governments.  We've even read a few already in book club.  But I never really enjoy those novels.  It may be irrational but they always seem to make me a little nervous.  I wonder about what it would take for that to happen in our world.  Maybe that is the purpose behind books like 1984 and Brave New World.  Overall we rated the book around 3.

For our January book choice we ended up going with In the Garden of Beasts by Erik Larson.



 It is the story of the Dobbs family that gets sent to Germany in 1933 to be the US Ambassador.  The book jackets says that it "lends a stunning eyewitness perspective on events as they unfold in real time, revealing an era of surprising nuance and complexity."  I began reading this book last night and was surprised to find out that it is a non-fiction book.  I should have guessed but I wasn't expecting that.  Hopefully the rest of the girls still enjoy it.  I am hooked already but I also am in love with all things history related.  Can't wait!

Our next meeting is going to be at Marie's house on Feb 19th at 7:00.  See you then!

Happy Reading!


No comments:

Post a Comment